- 1 lb. Zweigle’s White Hots
- 3 cups fresh sauerkraut
- 1 small jar applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 apple, cut in chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash cinnamon
- Drain sauerkraut and rinse in a colander with cold water.
- Squeeze out water and simmer sauerkraut in a pot with applesauce and enough apple juice to steam it.
- In a large pan, brown sliced onions in butter. When browned, sprinkle in brown sugar and raise heat to high to caramelize the onion.
- Add chunks of fresh apple. Lower the heat and saute for a few minutes. Add apples and onions to sauerkraut.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle in a little cinnamon. Grill White Hots over medium heat, turning frequently.
- Serve sauerkraut on platter topped with grilled white hots.
- Substitution: Change it up by trying the same recipe with Zweigle's Polish Sausage or Knockwurst.