- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 3 Zweigle's Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage links, fine chopped or ground
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 white onion, fine diced
- 1 egg beaten
- 12 oz. puff pastry
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the spinach and stir. Then cover and cook over a low heat for about 2 minutes or until the spinach starts to wilt. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and add the sausage and raisins. Cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and season the spinach and cook, stirring about every minute or so.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a pastry cutter or dull knife cut out 3 inch rounds, re-rolling any scraps if necessary. Place about 2 teaspoon of filling in the middle of each round, then brush the edges with the beaten egg.
- Bring up the sides of the pastry and seal with the back of a fork.
- Place the Empanadas on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush the outside with egg wash. Bake about 15 minutes until they have puffed up and are golden brown.
- Transfer the Empanadas to your favorite serving dish and serve warm (not hot).