- 1 lb. of any Zweigle’s sausage, Italian, or Polish Sausage sliced thinly
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes (butter potatoes)
- 3 to 4 cups of half and half
- 4 eggs whisked until smooth
- 8 slices of white or yellow American cheese
- Use a mandolin or very sharp chef’s knife and slice potatoes very thin.
- Simmer the potatoes in milk with the sausage for 7 minutes with a pinch of salt and pepper until potatoes are cooked half way.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Layer the potatoes and sausage evenly in a buttered 9x13 pan or something similar. Reserve the liquid.
- Add small amount of liquid to egg while whisking. Add the egg mixture slowly back to reserved liquid.
- Pour the liquid evenly over the potatoes and sausage. Add sliced American cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in a 300ºF preheated oven until the potatoes are just tender and top is starting turn brown.
- Final product should be firm, but creamy.
- Note: For best results - place prepared pan in a hot water bath to ensure even cooking without burning