- 2 lbs. broccolini
- 10 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz. mined onions
- 8 oz. tomato paste
- 1 lb. Zweigle’s Italian Sausage
- 2 lbs. bucatini pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 oz. chicken broth
- 2 oz. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 oz. fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut 1-1/2 inches off soft bottom of broccolini and blanch in hot water for approximately 3 minutes until they are tender. Remove, place in ice water and reserve.
- In a large heavy bottom sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and sausage. Crumble the sausage with a wooden spoon in the pan. Let the mixture cook until it is the consistency of a smooth meat sauce, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, about 7 minutes. Remove from hot water and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large heavy-bottom sauté pan over medium heat with the remaining oil. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, broth, and reserved sausage mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often and combine. Add the herbs and broccolini. Add the cooked pasta and 4 oz of parmesan cheese, toss gently to mix.
- To serve, place in your favorite serving bowl and top with remaining parmesan cheese and serve immediately.