Here at Zweigle’s, we love putting a fun twist on classic favorites. It’s just what we do! That’s why today we’re sharing our take on a delicious Italian favorite…calzones. Did you know that a calzone is actually just an oven-baked folded pizza? Talk about easy to make! Plus, if you’ve seen our Zweigle’s Buffalo Chicken Sausage Flatbread recipe, you already know that our chicken sausage is pretty darn tasty on a pizza. Now let’s take it to the next level…
½ can pizza dough
¾ cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup fresh spinach
½ cup marinara sauce
- Heat two Zweigle’s Italian Sausages (grill or pan fry).
- Slice Italian Sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Knead pizza dough and roll out until flat. Apply marinara sauce to surface, avoiding ¼-½ inch around rim.
- Add mushrooms, spinach, and cheese to one side of dough.
- Fold half of dough without toppings over onto the other side and squeeze ends together sealing the calzone.
- Brush olive oil on top of dough for added flavor (optional).
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until dough appears golden brown.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy Zweigle’s chicken sausage?